Worldwide Association of Women Journalists and Writers
The association groups women writers and journalists around the world. It was founded in 1969 in Mexico by the Mexican writer and journalist Gloria Salas de Calderon, with the participation of 37 countries. It aims to raise awareness of the issues affecting journalism and writing in general, and women in particular; to promote gender diversity in these areas; and to provide an international network for women writers and journalists.
The Presidency is rotated every 2 years and it’s bi-yearly congress takes places in the place where the president lives. This year, the presidency is in the UK until the end of 2018, so the XXIII Congress will be held in London and Kent.
Past AMMPE Presidents
- (1969- ) Gloria Salas de Calderon Mexico
- (1969~) Kena Moreno Mexico
- (1970~) Mari Hershfeld U.S.A.
- (1971~) Mary Weber U.S.A.
- (1973~) Grace Kim Korea
- (1977~) Pierrette Pare Walsh Canada
- (1988~) Enoh Irukwo Nigeria
- (1993~) Alice Kao Taiwan R.O.C .
- (1996~) Noelia Miranda Chile
- (2000~) Concepcion Solana Mexico
- (2002~) Jennifer Shen Taiwan R.O.C .
- (2004~) Gloria Leiva Chile
- (2006~) Nily Povedano Argentina
- (2008~) Vicky Lee, Taiwan R.O.C.
- (2010~) Rosa Maria Valles Ruiz Mexico
- (2012~) Julia Eugenia Martinez Chile
- (2016~) Sarah Gibson, UK